The Friends of Brisbane Botanic Gardens and Sherwood Arboretum Ltd. is a not-for-profit Company Limited by Guarantee.
The FBBGSA Company objectives are:
- To advocate for the conservation and protection of heritage, natural, scientific and recreational values of Brisbane Botanic Gardens and Sherwood Arboretum;
- To encourage high standards and effective management and maintenance of Brisbane Botanic gardens and Sherwood Arboretum;
- To support the administration and enhancement of BBGs and Sherwood Arboretum;
- To promote public appreciation of BBGs and Sherwood Arboretum as well as scientific, horticultural, artistic, literary and educational interests at local, State, Federal and international levels;
- To engage with a widely diverse community with a program of ongoing events and activities in support of BBGs and Sherwood Arboretum;
- To connect with individuals, groups, organisations and agencies and share knowledge and experience in order to achieve the foregoing objectives.
Patron of FBBGSA, “Paul de Jersey AC
His Excellency was appointed the 26th Governor of Queensland on 29 July 2014.
QLD Governor’s Community Support
The Governor supports many organisations and programs across the State through a program of community engagement. The Governor’s duties include:
- An extensive program of travel throughout the State to major centres and regional and remote communities
- Using a platform for advocacy to provide patronage to a diverse range of Queensland groups through a program of community engagement
- A wide-ranging program of activity such as visits, speeches, receptions, and celebrations of many milestones and anniversaries throughout the State.
Congratulations to the new FBBGSA…
Board of Directors 2018-19.
In alphabetical order:
Landscape Architect & Horticulturist.
Sidonie brings to the board a wealth of industry experience with specialisations in Green Roof & Wall, Design & Specification & Education over a 30 year period.
Sidonie has been gardening since she took her first steps. Her mother ran a nursery and one of her earliest memories is of being perched on a milk crate beside an old Greek man potting plants. She loves getting her hands dirty and uses her own garden as a tool for research and development and trialling new ideas.
Sidonie supports the board by providing a wealth of experience in the landscape industry and promotion of horticultural projects here and abroad. She has been actively involved in a number of not-for-profit organisations related to the horticulture and landscape industries holding a number of committee titles.
Annette Irish – Director Communications and Member Services
- Fellow Australian Institute of Horticulture, Registered Horticulturist (RH08)
- Annette Irish RH FAIH
Annette has been a practising horticulturist and teacher for over 4 decades. She loves working with soil, enhancing soil fauna and collecting unusual plants, tropical species and orchids.
From March 2006 to April 2017 her company worked with the Singapore Government developing and teaching the Certified Practising Horticulturist Programme for the horticulture/landscape industry.
Annette was conferred as a Fellow of the Australian Institute of Horticulture in 2000. In 2017 was awarded the President’s Commendation for High Achievement for her work within the industry.
Annette has held the position of Vice Chair since 2016. Her aims have been to focus on establishing sound business, IT & management practices. Moving forward she wishes to concentrate on marrying our web-based communication & management system with educational programmes. it is envisaged that this will create opportunities for the public and industry to expand their horticultural skills and knowledge.
Arno King – Director Event Management
GDLA MUP FAIH RH
Arno is a Registered Landscape Architect and Registered Horticulturist with more than 30 years of experience in landscape design, horticulture, urban design and visual assessment.
A prolific writer, his articles are featured in blogs, many specialist journals and popular magazines. Arno has a special interest in planting design, incorporating appropriate vegetation to enhance our urban spaces.
He is committed to professional education and to mentoring novice practitioners.
ArnoÂ is a founding Director of the new Friends of Brisbane Botanic Gardens and Sherwood Arboretum and has held the position of Director for Events Management since 2017.
Dr Jeannie Sim – Director and Secretary
BDesSt, BArch, GradDipLandArch, MA (Conservation Studies), PhD.Â
Dr Jeannie Sim is a garden historian and landscape architect. She was a Senior Lecturer in the School of Design (1997-2016) until her retirement but has been drawn back as a part time lecturer for the LA degree students.
Her passions include researching warm climate garden history (especially Queensland) and the conservation of historic landscapes.
The 2000 doctoral thesis revealed “Tropicalian” garden design history. Reference to her work has been featured in various publications, Â including 50 plus entries in the well-respected Oxford Companion to Australian Gardens, edited by Richard Aitken and Michael Looker (2001).
Jeannie’s heritage consultancies have focused on conservation management plans and reviews for the Old Brisbane Botanic Gardens and The Government House Grounds, Paddington.
Jeannie is a founding Director of the new Friends of Brisbane Botanic Gardens and Sherwood Arboretum and a founding member of the Lord Mayor’s Advisory Committee on Parks and Botanic Gardens.
Jeannie has held the position of Secretary FBBGSA since 2015.
John Taylor – Director and Treasurer
John’s background as a forester has enabled him to immerse himself in the management of natural resources both in Victoria and Queensland. In the world of horticulture his journey has been varied and interesting.
He managed the Royal Botanic Gardens, Melbourne and also as Director of Parks and Gardens for the Brisbane City Council.
John had the enviable role of managing the Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary and was until recently National Chair of the Australian Garden History Society.
He now works as a consultant.
John has held the position of Treasurer of FBBGSA since 2015.
ACN: 607 589 873 ABN: 20 607 589 873